Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thoughts on Psalm 118:5 - 8

Psalm 118:5 - 8

5In my anguish I cried to the LORD,
and he answered by setting me free.

6The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?

7The LORD is with me; he is my helper.
I will look in triumph on my enemies.

8It is better to take refuge in the LORD
than to trust in man.

He set me free from trusting man and instead it is better to take refuge in the Lord.

When I cried out in anguish He answered by setting me free. The Lord is with me; He is my helper.

I was looking for my circumstances to change. I was looking for help from man. All the while it was the Lordwho was with me. He was my helper. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man.

Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous. The Lord is my righteousness!

Too many Christians believe that we need only to avoid the things that we think can hurt us, or interfere with our walk with Christ. Only the Lord knows what we should avoid in life to remain close to Him, and safe from the enemy.

So may we look to His holy word and not to our own understanding.

If the Bible says that something offends God, then we should strive to avoid it.

2 comments:

Peggy Sue Sorensen said...

It is so common to think that if "man" would just change and do what we think he should do, it would bring us comfort, peace and help in time of need; that it would improve our circumstances.

When my focus is on "man" and what he should do or how he should change, I am tossed to and fro, depending on the performance of "man". And like a house built on shifting sands, it will develop cracks and eventually cave in during a storm.

I've learned that when I'm focused on my trials, I will react to them, according to what seems right in my own eyes. But when I'm focused on the Lord, He keeps me in His peace which enables me to react to Him in obedience.

God has taught me to focus on Him and not on "man". If I keep my focus on Him and trust in Him I will triumph through His wisdom and strength, not mine.

A Seed Sower said...

excellent Word Creeky and Peggy, I needed that...thanks...Helen B.