Monday, November 24, 2008

A Heart Condition

"The heart [is] deceitful above all [things], And desperately wicked; Who can know it? (Jer. 17:9)

The Law shows us our sin but does not give us the power to subdue it. In fact the Law only “doth revive, put strength into, and increase it [sin] in the soul.”

As the Law reveals our holy Creator and his perfect standard (with its inward and outward demands for conformity), we are filled with anguish and terror at who we are and the condemnation we deserve.

Charles Spurgeon has made this comment on the human heart, “There is nothing one half so worthy of abhorrence as the human heart. God spares from all eyes, but his own, that awful sight, a human heart; and could you and I but once see our heart, we should be driven mad, so horrible would be the sight.”

Only the gospel is able to sweep and subdue the heart so that King Jesus can begin his reign in it.

3 comments:

Peggy Sue Sorensen said...

A year before God converted me, my husband said that some scriptures referred to the goodness of man while other scriptures said man was wicked. Even though he concluded that he thought man was basically good, I remember being very confused and didn't know what to think. Then shortly after my conversion, my preacher said that man was basically good. For the next few days, God taught me about the nature of man, before and after the fall. It became undeniably obvious that man has become very good at hiding his evil heart in order to have a good image and to be accepted in society. He puts on a smile and pleasantly greets people to act like everything is fine. He can seem as sweet and gentle as a lion that is sleeping after a large meal. But under the right circumstances, those restraints fly off and he can be in attack or defend mode just like a lion when something crosses its path. There is nothing man can do to change his nature. The efforts are only temporary.

As I was in deep thought about this new understanding, God gave me a visual glimpse of the wickedness of man and it caused me to break down and wail. I cried deeply all day and it subsided the following day. This happened ten years ago, but it continues to make me very sensitive to all of the evil in this society. It's a heavy weight to bear; just think how it must affect our Lord...He sees it all. I’m looking forward to the day when the lion will lay down with the lamb. I’m looking forward to the fulfillment of Isaiah 11, especially v.9, “They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD As the waters cover the sea.”

Diana Kukk said...

Amen, Peggy! It really hit me when you said that God sees it all. It gives me an even greater appreciation for the mercies of our Savior, Jesus.

A Seed Sower said...

Awesome testimony there Peggy!