Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Election Perspective From Serbia

Nov 05 by Ingrid Schlueter
My Facebook friend, Emily Baker writes:

A friend living in Serbia offered one of the most encouraging and godly responses I have yet heard regarding our presidential election here in the U.S. I am sincerely humbled by your perspective, Natalija. Thank you for reminding us where true hope is found.

While you should do everything that is in your power to influence the choice by your vote (according to your conscience), do not be afraid of the outcome!

What I am getting at is, that no matter what the political situation of your or my country - GOD IS IN CONTROL. And our job is to serve God in all circumstances. It is HIM we serve, not our country!

I have in my short life witnessed many things. I have been there when the shackles of communism fell. I stood at the Berlin wall and rejoiced with everyone else. I was ecstatic when we finally could preach and sing in public, when we could legally publish Christian books, when we could finally enjoy “religious freedom” at home, in church, in school and public. That was the first few years.

Do you know what the situation is now - 20 years after we got all the freedom? The church has become lukewarm. The price of discipleship is not as high as it used to be and people are too busy living their capitalist lifestyle of earning money and do not care for church anymore. When we were operating under the threat of being put in prison, when there was constant persecution of the church, the church flourished, people clung to God, people were on fire for God. The freedom brought just the opposite. “Blessed are the persecuted” - I understand this only now after living through all of the changes and seeing how true this statement is.

My human mother heart wishes that I can raise my children in freedom and teach them what I think is right and that my and their moral lifestyle would be rewarded and honored. But the more I read the Bible, the more I am aware that IF we honor God, we will not be understood and honored in this world.


"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

God is in charge of the universe. He will use many various ways to draw people to himself – sometimes quite the opposite of what we think. The cost of discipleship is high. The price is His precious blood. He stood by His people through wars, persecution, yes even communism.

Think about this, as I finish: The darker the night, the stronger our light! That’s all I want to tell you. Do not be afraid, cling to God. He will bring you through.

1 comment:

diana said...

I found this site through Apostasywatch! God guided me to that site. I really appreciat this post right now. It echos my heart and confirms what the Lord is telling me. I am praying that the Lord will tell those who have ears to hear the same as well, which I am sure he is.
Thanks for this site. The internet is my Christian fellowship for now.
Blessings
Diana