Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Race of Faith


Hebrews 12

1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

3 For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.

Paul tells us to lay aside every weight and sin and to run with endurance. A weight is anything that hinders a runner. He also says that as we run the race we are to look unto Jesus. He has done everything necessary for us to endure in our faith. We are to consistantly focus on Christ instead of our own circumstances. Our Lord's attention was not on the agonies of the Cross, but on the crown; not on the suffering, but the reward. This is the only way we can run the race of Faith. We cannot do it on our own. I have fallen short so many times trying to work things out in my own life. I would say a prayer and then immediately thereafter go about trying to fix things myself. It was only when I read this passage for what it really says that I understand that it's all Jesus. It's not me running the race on my own terms with my goals in mind, no matter how lofty and spiritual I may believe those goals are. Those goals are the heavy weights. When I look to Jesus those weights disappear. It is then that I am running that race by Faith.

When we think about the hostility that He endured of sinners, we should compare our sufferings to the torture Christ endured on our behalf.

No comments: