Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Honor God

Them that honor me I will honor. (1 Samuel 2:30)

Is the honor of God the object of our lives and how we conduct ourselves? If so, He will honor us. I may receive no honor from man, but God will, Himself, put honor upon me in His most effective way.

Eli had not honored the Lord by ruling his household well, and his sons had not honored the Lord by behavior worthy of their sacred office, and therefore the Lord did not honor them but took the high priesthood out of their family and made young Samuel to be ruler in the land.

If I would have my family made noble, I must honor the Lord in all things. God may allow the wicked to win worldly honors; but the dignity which He Himself gives, even glory, honor, and immortality, He reserves for those who by holy obedience take care to honor Him.

What are some examples of honoring the Lord? I will promote His glory by my spoken testimony and by my practical obedience. I will also honor Him with my abundance and by offering to Him some special service.


1 Samuel 2:25 "If a man sins against another man, God may mediate for him; but if a man sins against the Lord, who will intercede for him?" His sons, however, did not listen to their father's rebuke, for it was the Lord's will to put them to death.

Eli's sons' punishment was due to their own rebellion. Old Testament writers, though, categorized all events - even disobedience - as falling under God's control.

This is another verse in Scripture that confirms for me that God is, indeed, Sovereign over everything!

Praise His Holy Name!

No comments: