Friday, January 1, 2010

"WHAT I WILL I DO NOT PRACTICE"


Romans 7 is Paul’s commentary on the 10th commandment (“you shall not covet). I believe God used the 10th commandment to “kill” the self-righteous Pharisee that Paul was before his conversion.

I understand this now. Before I was converted I believed the same thing. I came out of Roman Catholicism and was taught how to be righteous by keeping the Law. When I left that religious system I got mixed up in another religious system and was taught a mixed mess of evangelical Christianity. I believed that Jesus died for my sins. I had an intellectual understanding of what Jesus did on the cross. Unfortunately, I was still filled with a self-righteous spirit. Nothing really changed in me.

In Philippians 3, Paul states that before his conversion he considered himself “blameless.” ...concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. (Philippians 3:6) And we know that changed for Paul on the road to Damascus. Like the rich young ruler, Paul the Pharisee could say, “I have kept all these (several of the earlier commandments) from my youth. …concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. (Luke 18:21).
Convicted by the Holy Spirit, Paul had to admit he was in violation of the 10th commandment. He was a dead sinner before his conversion.

But what about after conversion? The 10th commandment showed Paul that sin was “utterly sinful.” Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. (Romans 7:13).
Thus begins Paul’s present tense discussion of his Christian life:

Romans 7:14, 15 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do.

The New King James Version translates thelo as “will,” rather than “desire.” If that is correct, Paul is stating that he wills (decides) to not practice certain things but still ends up practicing them (specifically coveting). Granted, the Greek term thelo has a range of meaning that includes both “will” and “wish” or “desire.” Which does Paul intend here?


Consider that Paul is a passionate and motivated person. No one reading the New Testament would doubt that. Paul can mean, “I would like not to sin” or he can mean “I decide not to sin” which is the stronger meaning. It is hard to imagine Paul using the weaker term when describing his own motivation not to sin.

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” (Romans 7:7). Paul is discussing coveting. He uses the Greek word for “lust” or “strong desire.” After muddling around in the Greek translation of what Paul meant it comes out like this: “I desire not to strongly desire.” We can take that to mean “I have a weaker desire not to lust than I have to lust.” That would make sense. But is that what he means?

It makes sense this way: “I resolve (make a decision) not to lust, but I still have lust.”

Based on this I believe Paul’s use of thelo (used 7 times in Romans 7:15-21) to mean “to will.”

Romans 7: 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.

More to follow…

No comments: