Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A CHRISTMAS CONVICTION

A Christmas Conviction
by Christine McCoy December 2008


Tinkling lights and essence of Pine
Popcorn balls and Auld Lang Syne
Nativity scenes and Barbie dolls
Oh Holy Night and Deck the Halls!

Presents to buy and cookies to bake
Cards to mail out and decorations to make.
Cantatas, fruitcakes and kids on Santa's lap
Mingling Holy, hype and Hell as one -we didn't see the trap.

The house was cleaned from bottom to top
No prayers today we could not stop.
Family coming in -put the Bible away
No religious preaching during their stay!

Caroling, caroling through the snow
The truth of the matter we did not know
Over the river and through the dell
we were laughing all the way- to Hell.

Where comes from all the fa la la?
the gluttonous self indulgence and hoop-la?
From the pit of Hell it came with a plan,
to steal the hearts and souls of man!

Here is the quandary-though I know the truth
I feel myself drawn to the delights of my youth.
Succumbing to pressure from family and friends
I find myself tempted to return again.

Somewhat wistful and feeling strangely sad
deprived of ornaments, candy canes and the things I had.
Let me lean on You Jesus and fill me just the same,
Knowing it's not when you were born but why

No comments: